Saturday, August 31, 2013

My rant: I can't just "get over it"

I wrote this post a month and a half ago.I was a little reluctant to "share" this but I decided go ahead and be brave. First off I'll start by saying I'm proud to be black. Our people have created and cultivated this country.Our culture has it's perks. We are beautiful, strong, creative and God fearing. We are also the most imitated race. Our style, music, and culture as a whole. Yet with all it's beauty comes an ugly side. Living everyday as an African American can be down right daunting.





Race relations in America have been a top issue in our country that always strikes a cord. Especially between blacks and whites.


 I don't have the "woe is me" being black in America mentality, nor do I fit the stereotype that the media portrays a black person to be. I believe in working hard and challenging myself. Be we do,  however,endure the as I like to call it the "daily struggle."


After the uproar of the Trayvon Martin case racism again revealed it's ugly head.  It was dormant.I saw it on my Facebook news feed, blog posts, online magazines, and news sites. But out of all the ignorance, racist terms regarding this issue,the one statement that constantly gets under my skin is"Get over it."


But how do I get over it when you're in the store being watched and followed and not knowing if your white counterpart is getting the same treatment? How do I get over it when I have to think twice about how I will get treated going into a certain neighborhood or restaurant? How do I get over it when in social situations or a work setting that you are simply being "tolerated?" How do I get over it when you get the stares...I call it the" unicorn look." Or the total opposite, ignored. How do I get over it when I have to debate whether to check Black/African descent on a job application. Will it ruin my chances of  getting a interview?Do they have a quota to fulfill? How to I get over it if I'm out at a restaurant and haven't been waited on. Is it a coincidence or is it not? Is it because they are busy or does the waitress not want to serve me? How do I get over it when a lady clutches her purse when I walk by? The wonder, the apprehension, the anxiety.We continuously have to be aware of our surroundings.

I'm not speaking from a gender prospective nor from a specific complexion. But rather from a Black perspective.

It's the everyday subconscious living that makes it hard to get over it. It's a way of life. It's not a pity party or a complaint. More of just calling a spade a spade. How can we get over something that we face everyday. You never really become immune to it but at the same time these scenarios are never a surprise.


I want my white counterparts to understand when we discuss the issue of race or even protest against it....it's not just complaining or whining. It's a simple reaction to an action. If you're treated a certain way, especially for no reason, you react to it, in some way, shape or form.

I myself do not speak for the whole black community but just from my own feelings and personal experiences.

If they could understand....be in our shoes for just one day.


 But hey we all have to vent sometime.............


Can you relate?

No comments:

Post a Comment