Friday, January 11, 2013

Django Unchained from The Odd Black Girls perspective


This my good people was my eager Facebook status update on Djano Unchained on the drive home from the movie (I was in the passenger seat!No texting and driving okay!):










       
Disclaimer :I'm not here to dissect the whole film but to simply express MY thoughts and views. What instantly comes to my mind. No essay here! I am not a movie critic nor a historian. Oh and I realized I spelled Tarantino's name incorrectly in my Facebook Stat lol.

I had no interest in seeing this film at first whatsoever. But I gave in! To the controversy that is.


Let's be honest folks, this movie is clearly is not for everyone. While I sat in the movie theatre I saw at least one interracial couple and a black couple walk out in the middle of film mumbling "I can't watch this". Using swear words of course.


Maybe it was the flat out use of the N-word, the shackles on whipped scarred black men , the crude humor and characters, the pitiful run down looking black folks, the unusual random humor about KKK head sheets.... just to name a few. Roots on steroids maybe? Just maybe? Where is Levar Burton?














This movie wasn't for the faint of heart. For those of you how know Quentin Tarantino he is one the most unique and controversial directors/writers of our time. He takes major historical events and creates a demented yet an entertaining twist to them. For instance, 2009, Inglorious Bastards was about France being occupied by Nazi's during World War II, and planned to annihilate Nazi leaders by U.S. Jewish soldiers. Now tell me that isn't controversial.... but hey it's Tarantino.

Back to Djano (played by Jamie Fox oh and the D is silent)his character, which is rare to non exist in a slavery depicted film was.... yes...a HERO...in search of his wife ( the beautiful Kerry Washington) who was separated from her while they both tried to run away. Jamie and his bounty hunter partner Dr. King Schultz (played by Christoph Waltz who is an excellent actor) specialized in killing and assassinating . This film also had a western twist to it. AAAAAAANNNDDD Djano also knew how to read. A slave.... Read?




What could make this film so controversial and nauseating especially for the black community.... my thoughts are that maybe a Caucasian man wrote it, maybe the serious and hurtful time such slavery  being made a mockery of, the typical less than articulate speaking slaves, black women in the kitchen, the rivalry of house slaves vs field slaves (uprooting the light skin vs. dark skin issue that still exists in the black community), the teasing and humiliation of slaves not understanding the meaning of words, the one slave that's always snitching on the other slaves, could be the harsh inhumane physical punishment, maybe it just stirs up feelings that have been festered in blacks for centuries. And my fellow Caucasian as well.



On the other side some may love the humor, they do understand the seriousness of slavery but just enjoyed the entertainment, the over the top gore,looking at Jamie Foxx, drooling over Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson looking....well I'll just say different, the music in the movie...who knows? 



As for this Odd Black Girl I loved it and hated it at the same time. What can I say? Mixed emotions for me! 



Have you seen it....what are your thoughts on this film? Oscar worthy to you?



Salutations!



Court (The Odd Black Girl)

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting review. I don't have a clue what you just said. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting. May I ask what is it that you don't understand. I can help ;-)
      God bless

      Delete
  2. Courtney: I'd like to point you in the direction of one of my favourite film reviewers, Scott Ashlin:
    http://www.1000misspenthours.com/reviews/reviewsa-d/djangounchained.htm
    Scott operates in the field of sleaze/exploitation/cult films, and his opinions are **ahem** not for the faint-hearted, but he's a witty, elegant writer and I think you might appreciate his point that only a director like Quentin T. could approach the material with the extremity you need to get the horror across.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Richard! And thanks for stopping by. I will definitely check the link out!

    ReplyDelete