Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Quick take on Emeli Sande's Our Version of Events

 Emeli Sande is an artist I cannot stop talking about. Whether I'm straightening up the house or practicing dance, I always have this album playing in heavy rotation. If you're like me, you tend to like the underdogs, which in my opinion, Emeli is. She is so unbelievably gifted and unique. A real stand out artist.

Our Version of Events is an album that should definitely be in your music arsenal.






She has been in the music scene for a few years, rocking it out in the UK and now in U.S. But if you haven't heard of Emeli Sande, get to know her. This beautiful brit is soulful, heartfelt and authentic.  Like old school artists, she brings a rare but distinct sound to the music industry that is lacking nowadays. 

I first heard Emeli at a movie theater and they were playing her upbeat song "Next to me". I was instantly struck by her voice. I bought the album that following week! One of my favorite songs off the album is "Mountains". It represents love, struggle, sacrifice, working hard, having dreams, wanting to fulfill them, and growth. This song gives me chills with it's beautiful instrumental arrangements as well as lyrics. It would be an excellent song for a movie soundtrack!











This entire album is very eclectic yet so relatable.Emeli opens the door to her life with her lyrics. She stays true to her roots with the infusion of African drums and beats, as well as piano and the strings. A musician's and dancer's dream in my eyes. There is something in this album for everyone. She engages you with her musicality and vocal range. From her gentle ballad "Clown" about her struggle finding herself in the unforgiving music industry, to her rawness in "Heaven", Emeli's funky yet classic style draws you into her world with her transparency. Our Version of Events is a 10 in my eyes. I'm so in love with it! 

Don't have it yet? Go get it! You won't be disappointed. If you do have the album,what are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment