Friday, March 20, 2015

Why it was dope to be a young black girl in 90's


Growing up as adolescent in the 1990's was awesome. Television was great, the toys were legendary and the theme songs and jingles were constantly embedded into my brain. But one thing that stood out during that era was "us." Black girls were depicted in such a positive light. There was a sense of pride, happiness and lightheartedness that exuded through our television sets.  There were so many products, songs, and characters a young African-American girl could relate to. So let’s take a brief journey with me back down memory lane as I dig up all the gems that brought me so much joy as a kid. Maybe for you too!










Just for Me Relaxer Kit





Yup. I said it. I know it's practically an abomination nowadays to even mention the word "perm" or "relaxer." Today, I'm pro natural myself but during the 1990's ,this jingle from the commercial made me psyched to see the next six weeks to roll around, so I can get Just for Me slapped on my tender scalp. "I want style, body and shine. A look that's totally all mine. Hair so soft, silky and free. I want something just for me!" I loved seeing young black girls, like myself, skipping and dancing about their gorgeous hair. To see them rockin' the big hair scrunchie’s, side ponytails and bouncy curls that I longed for, I was in my youthful glory!



Addy Walker (American Girl Doll)


My Addy doll



Addy represented the Civil War Era in 1864 and in 1993 was the first African -American character introduced to the American Girl Doll Collection. The Addy came doll came with traditional outfits of that time such as bonnets, dresses, baskets, and accessories which brought her story to life. Reminiscing, one thing that stood out about her was her long kinky black hair, which I felt showed young black girls how beautiful we truly are.


 As a young avid reader, I collected all the books which told stories of Addy's bravery, adventures, hardships and friendships. Oh and I can't forget the little snippets of history facts at the end of each book. It made learning fun. When I read I felt like she was my friend, like I was going through her struggles and happy times with her. Addy is definitely a winner!



Kenya Doll




My Kenya Doll


Need I say more? What was so unique about Kenya is that she came in a variety of skin tones. I didn't own her baby sister Kiana, but I did have two Kenya's in my lifetime. What really made the Kenya doll so special in my eyes was the amazing Hair Kit that came with her. Conditioner that smelled like heaven, rollers, brush, beads and jewels. I even used some of those on my own hair. Beads and braids were the thing in the 90's! I just knew I was a little hair stylist.


Tia and Tamera Mowry (Sister, Sister TV show)





Twins separated at birth, discovering each other in a department store, their beautiful curly hair, and that catchy theme song. "Sista Sista!" I was obsessed with these two (even to this this present day I might add). Watching the show Sister, Sister I identified with their quirkiness and I admired their uniqueness. During the 90's they represented the semi nerdy, carefree, fun loving black girl that is so prevalent now. When I saw them, I saw myself.


And who can forget that infamous saying to their friend and next door neighbor... "Go home Roger!"


Iesha by Another Bad Creation





Not to sound stereotypical but c'mon but this song was made for a black girl.  This catchy tune filled rapping and signing was an epic song for us black girls. Who can forget the lollipops, video games and the playground? These smooth boys were rockin' the gumby ,box haircuts, overalls and jerseys spitting game, hey Iesha was the girl of their dreams.



Lisa Turtle (Saved by the Bell)





Witty, beautiful, confident and of course fashionable. In my eyes Lisa Turtle was Bayside High's princess! Sorry Kelly. Her distinct sense of style gave her the title of trendsetter in my book. No wonder she won a full scholarship to F.I.T. (Fashion Institute of Technology). She was full of spunk and personality. She rocked the funky earrings, studs, leopards, colorful tailored blazers, floral prints and cowboy boots, you name it. Lisa Turtle's wardrobe inspired some of my fashion choices today.




Susie Carmichael





Watching TV and seeing an animated brown girl with pigtails and barrettes like me was something new, something pristine. Susie Carmichael's voice done by fellow bohemian sister, actress Cree Summer, was the only main African American character on Rugrats. She was introduced to the show along with her family in  the"Meet the Carmichael's" episode. Susie wasn't on the show frequently but her sweet personality and constant rivalry with Angelica gave me so much life.





TLC





These women embodied originality, creativity and attitude. I always used to pretend I was Chili, only because both of our names began with C. Lame I know.  At that time they tackled subject matters that were taboo, embraced their tomboyish swag and created hits that were timeless. T-Boz, Left-Eye and Chili graced us by singing the theme song to Nickelodeon's show "All That" Chili's smooth voice, T-Boz's deep smoky tone and Left-Eye's vibrant flow was concoction of pure genius! I got a little carried away.

TLC told "us" it was okay to be unique, a girl can speak her mind, you don't have to be what society expects you to be.



Brandy





I Wanna Be Down. The Boy is Mine. Baby. Have You Ever. Besides her smooth melodic and upbeat songs, in 1997, Brandy gave us hope and inspired us that "we" can be Cinderella. Hey who wouldn't want Whitney Houston as their Fairy godmother? Brandy starring in the sitcom Moesha, took us on a journey of love, friendships, heartbreaks, and laughter. And of course we can't forget those trademark braids. I definitely rocked them. Did you?



Honorable Mentions:

Hilary Banks (French Prince)

Laura Winslow (Family Matters)
Asha (Black Barbie)
Jessi Ramsey (Baby Sitter's Club)
Kara Cupper (Shining Time Station)
Dionne and Melanie (My brother and Me)

Why was it cool to be a young black girl in the 90's for you? Comment. Let's chat!

No comments:

Post a Comment