Monday, July 25, 2016

Why I Cut My Hair

The first time I cut my hair was back in 2010, it was a gradual thing. I went from long, to a bob, to a pixie. I did it because I was bored and wanted a change. From 2010 up until now I went natural and my hair grew a little bit passed my shoulders. Within the last 6 years, my hair has been dyed every color in the book. Brown. Blue Black .Red. Blonde. And everything in between. 


My very first pixie in 2010
I have had long hair all my life, it was kind of like my trademark. As black women, reaching a long hair length is considered a badge of honor. So when you all of a sudden cut it... combined the inquisitive look, you will receive the infamous question "Girl Why did you cut off all your hair?" So if you will keep reading, you will find out why I indeed did cut all my hair off... again. I broke it down to 3 main reasons.





But before I give you those reasons, let me first off by saying, you never need to give anyone an explanation of why you decided to cut your hair or any hair choices you make. Only if you want to. You can simply and nicely say because I wanted and needed a change.



                                                      Change it Up
Like I said before, I like to change my hair impulsively. I love being able to switch things up. However, even when professionally done, I had to learn the hard way that you shouldn't change the color of your hair like you change your clothes. I know. Not wise. My hair became weak, limp and my curl pattern loosened, which was very frustrating when it came to styling. I first started off with having my hair cut into a bob. But I then came to a swift conclusion that "big chopping" my hair  and continuing my hair, skin and nail vitamins was the best solution in order to regain healthy hair.


                                                          Health
My health was another influence in regards to cutting my hair. I have had chronic illness and due to the daily medication I take, my hair over the years had become extra thin. Naturally, my hair is a fine 3b/3c texture,so I'm already dealing with a delicate texture. Plus, I didn't like the look of long weak hair. I wanted to start fresh with healthy hair.

                                                   It's My Prerogative
And of course the obvious...because I wanted to. Looking at The Cut Life's Instagram page and seeing all the beautiful short cuts and the variety of styles,really inspired me to have my own hair cut again. Seeing other women embrace their sexy short hairstyles proving that they too, could be feminine if not more feminine than with longer hair. As cliche as it may sound, having short hair gave me a sense of liberation and confidence. I enjoy the carefree life of having short hair. I don't have to use a lot of product and styling only takes a couple of minutes. In addition, I never knew how many styles that could be done with short hair and there are a plethora of cool ways to style my pixie. 






My curls






Reasons I Love my Short Haircut

It's summer in NY!
It's the beginning of my healthy hair journey. 
It proves you don't need a long main to be beautiful and confident. 
It allows me to focus on being a person with a sincere heart and spirit.

Questions may come up about will I remain short or grow it longer or will I ever get it colored again. The question is I don't know. I'm loving the short and natural color I have now. However, I do know my experiences in the past with my hair will help me to make wiser decisions in the future, so I don't lose the integrity of my hair.



I love being a part of The Cut Life!Cutting my hair has been one of the best decisions I have made.It's so important to be your own standard of beauty but it's even more important to exude inner beauty. So if you're contemplating getting a haircut (the big chop as they say). Go for it! It will always grow back if you don't like it and who knows, you may learn to love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment