Friday, October 25, 2013

Buffalo Comic-Con 2013


From the very first moment I heard Comic-Con was coming to Buffalo, I immediately purchased my ticket. Surprisingly to most, this was my very first Comic-Con I ever attended. (Yes people I'm a rookie)But I had a blast! It was so refreshing to be surrounded by others who share the same interests. You had the nerdy, the geeky,the eccentric and everyone in between. In addition, various people from all ages, genders, races and walks of life.Believe me,comics aren't just loved by guys,us girls dig it too!


Stormtroopers




I kept it pretty moderate when it came to apparel. Especially compared to some of the awesome costumes and makeup I saw there. I rocked my Wonder Woman shirt and earrings, spiced it up with my gold jewelry,blue eye shadow and red lips.

Courtney



And then you got the rest.......



Merle Dixon from the Walking Dead(in the middle). Her amputee hand was handmade (no pun intended)



Me and The Mask



Princess Leias




This year's 14th annual Buffalo Comic-Con took place at the Marriott Hotel in Amherst, N.Y. This one day event was held by local comic book store Queen City Bookstore. I was surrounded by anxious cosplayers and 6-year-old Green Lanterns, as if it were an everyday thing. I loved every random moment!  It was such a chaotic yet fun atmosphere. The vendors, the attendees...... everyone was so friendly when being asked to take pictures. I got so caught up and mesmerized by all the costumes and the large crowd, I didn't get many pictures of all the paraphernalia or the displays.Well...maybe next time.

 I did not purchase anything there but rather just embraced the "Comic-Con" experience. I observed Darth Vader signing autographs, loud conversations between vendors and attendees, little kids dressed up as superheros and sci- fiction characters running around.Every genre was represented at this convention.... video games,sci-fiction, horror from villain to superheros. I took it all in.


Sit back and picture every comic book to ever hit the earth on large stands and in boxes, vintage toys from the claymation Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer characters to rare board games and The Walking Dead action figures just to name a few. Plus unique and original mugs and cups, T-shirts, posters, drawings, local artists paintings and more...ahhhh a nerds dream! A Zombie makeup table where you can get your face totally gruesome up. Hey, not my cup of tea but I could surely appreciate the detail and artistry!


Comic book heaven!



Having fun!

The Flash (one of my favorites)

Black Mask (one of Batman's villains)



Do I see Phoenix?


Contestants in line for the Costume Contest



Ghost Rider!


The Star War characters I would say were definitely the highlight of my experience. Running into the Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, the stormtroopers, Darth Vader and the rest brought back so much nostalgia. I heard the Star Wars theme song in my head!

My time at  Buffalo Comic-Con was very brief but definitely memorable. I have a such an appreciation for the preparation, creativity, and time it takes to make and put together the costumes and to prepare an event like this. I definitely plan to go next year. In costume maybe? My ultimate goal is to attend a Comic-Con in a major city. The bigger the better right?


Obi-Wan Kenobi? Luke Skywalker? Who do you think?




Join the darkside!

Have you ever been to a Comic-Con? Did you wear a costume? What was your experience like?


No comments:

Post a Comment